United Kingdom, South Africa · 4 Days · 6 Moments · May 2017

Mic's adventure in South Africa

30 May 2017

After some time, we caught the bus to the base of the trail and started our ascent up Table Mountain. It took about 1 hour 45 minutes and tons of rest breaks since we were pretty much climbing a bunch of rock stairs. The view up top was really grand though and Cape Town is a gigantic city. The ocean went on and on and so did all the buildings. We took the cable car down and it surprised me because it rotated 360 degrees inside. Then Richard and i came back and took a nap. Then we went for a long walk up a hill to a restaurant that was closed. We had Mexican food at this nice restaurant near the hostel. Tomorrow we're out of Cape Town.
Woke up at 1:30 last night and couldn't get back to sleep til about 5. We had to get up around 8:15. Walked to pick up the rental car.. an SUV Toyota. Once I got it, I was so nervous to drive it since it was completely unfamiliar and odd having the driver's side on the right hand side. People also drive on the left side of the road which also unnerved me. I was nervous to start with and we only had a short drive to Table Mountain but a few turns and some windy Mountain road where oncoming traffic keep swerving into my lane and I ended up panicking. My breathing started getting shallower and faster and eventually the blood felt like it was rushing from my head and I felt so faint and couldn't think straight. Thank goodness we were at the parking lot for Table Mountain. I got out of the car and had a full on panic attack!!!! It was unbelievable, I'd never experienced anything like that. I couldn't stop hyperventilating and my head and hands were tingling. I needed water and to just sit.
Had dinner at this awesome African restaurant in the Malaysian quarter, about a 20-minute walk from our hostel. I had oxtail curry with rice and Richard originally ordered a springbok steak but after the couple seated next to us raved about the Impala steak and how tender it was, he changed his order to that. The Impala steak really was super tender, it almost melted in your mouth. The oxtail curry was really good and the meat came right off the tail bone. We had a bottle of Constantia wine Merlot/Cabaret blend from 2013. It wasn't that great. There was live music with 3 people playing the malimba, this xylophone like instrument made out of beautiful wood, there was also a drummer and then dancers. Was so good to listen to and watch! They played lots of Bob Marley songs and also sang. Was a great restaurant.

29 May 2017

Slept in today after hours and hours (22 hours) flying. Had lunch at the wharf marketplace... Hungarian salmon flatbread, zebra, crocodile, ostrich and warthog kebab with a side of rice and chakalaka. The kebab was cooked perfectly. Had an apple, carrot, ginger and chili juice. Took a ferry boat to Robben Island, former leper colony and political prison. The tour was really informative and half of it was led by a former inmate who was imprisoned there for 7 years for terrorism. He was born in 1960 and became politically active in University when he believed that he was being educated to be a slave. He went to Angola to train to be a militant. Nelson Mandela was also imprisoned there for 18 years and we saw his cell and the limestone quarry where they forced the political leaders into hard labor. We saw penguins and little tortoises and tons of seagulls and other birds. The weather was so perfect like LA beach weather. Next we will go to Bo kaap, the Malaysian quarter.

28 May 2017

Rode the ferris wheel over the Victoria wharf last night. Had dinner at a German restaurant... Biltong and Brie veggie burger with Castle milk stout beer. Walked around the boardwalk. Weather was perfect. Our hostel is only a 5-minute walk from the boardwalk. Some hobos around a campfire.

27 May 2017

Flight from LA to Heathrow went by fairly quickly, watched Moonlight and slept on and off for about 5 hours. Lugging my fluffy Ikea blanket with me was so worth it!