Australia · 8 Days · 51 Moments · November 2017

Trekking Tassie to make a difference!

1 December 2017

And so ends my trekking adventure in Tassie. After saying our farewells, I headed to the airport and boarded my flight to Sydney, where I have to overnight before heading back to Canberra and on to Adelaide for Pacific School Games. It was a quiet night on my own in my upgraded King Room at the Holiday Inn. Thanks ladies for making this trip such a memorable one! I enjoyed every minute of it and can't wait to see you all again when Reena has organised our reunion trip.
But I think what I loved most about this trek were the Waratahs. I know my Nana was on this trek with me, as these plants only began flowering last week and will only continue to flower for another ten days. Waratahs were Nana's favourite flower, and they're mine too!
The patterns in the bark, the pandanis plants and the fungi were so different from the other plants we had seen
After lunch the brave few ventured up to Lake Dobson, in the apline region of the park. This walk was my favourite one for the whole trip. The snow gums were beautiful and the lake so peaceful.
We then stopped for lunch at this cute little hut. I arrived there with my friend, the leech 😖. Carl and Trent lit a fire for us in the fire place. It was lovely eating lunch by the fire as the rain poured down.
Followed by the famous Russell Falls. The rain made the falls absolutely magic! Perfect rainforest trekking weather.
The next stop on the walk was Horseshoe Falls.
From Barron Falls we walked the Big Trees Walk. The Regnare Tree (Swamp Gums) in this walk are the largest flowing plants on earth. At the end of this section we saw a Coeur Pademelon.
The moss, ferns and trees we walked through were incredible and led us to Barron Falls.
This morning we headed into Mt Field National Park to walk through the temperate rainforest. As the walk began the rain started to fall, adding to the beauty of the NP. We even saw a platypus swimming in the river.

30 November 2017

After an afternoon of visiting the berry farm and fromagerie, we hopped back on the ferry and headed to Waterworks Reserve for our final night together. Carl and Trent cooked a fabulous BBQ, while we made a mini field of pink ladies to pay tribute to, and in honour of, those we trekked for.
At the southern most point of the cruise we found Australian Fur Seals. This colony is not a breeding ground, but a colony of male seals. They were very inquisitive, swimming quite close to the boat, but the constant boat movement on the swell made quality photos difficult. From here, we headed the 30kms back to Adventure Bay.
As the sun came out we were able to see the gorgeous colours in the pristine waters.
From there we explore some of the coves and blowholes. The kelp clinging to the cliffs was fascinating. Tasmania has some of the worlds largest areas of kelp, and researchers are studying the way it clings to the rock to try and help burns patients by replicating those properties in a second skin.
From the lookout we headed around to Adventure Bay to do our three hour island 'cruise'. Carl had warned us that we shouldn't eat before the trip and he wasn't wrong. I was certainly glad of my Sea Bands today. The cruise took us south along the Bruny coastline past some spectacular rock formations and tall cliffs. Anne and I definitely picked the best seats on the boat - down the back!
Bruny is made up of two small islands joined by an isthmus. Our first stop was the Truganini lookout over the isthmus, where we learned of the very dark indigenous history of the island. This lookout was the only 'trekking' we did today, up over 100 stairs. The view was well worth it.
Today was a sightseeing day at Bruny Island. It began with a 45 minute drive south to the sleepy little port town of Kettering, where we boarded the vehicular ferry to Bruny.

29 November 2017

I then took a few quick snaps of Pirate Bay before we headed to Hobart, where we will be based for the next two nights.
Here are some more properties in case you haven't worked out the theme yet
We then headed to Doo Town for some home made ice cream. Made with fresh berries, it was delicious! I then walked back thrush turn to take photos of the you notice a theme to the names of each of the properties?
The sunshine made for far more spectacular photos on the way back.
After two hours of trekking and over one thousand stairs (equivalent to 162 flights of stairs) we reached Cape Huay. Just as we arrived there the sun came out 😊🌅
Today we trekked to Cape Huay, the first of the three capes on the Three Capes Walk. The day was quite overcast as we headed out, but that made it good for trekking on the open trail.

28 November 2017

After disembarking the boat we took some final pictures before heading back past the gardens and on to The Fox and Hounds, where we are staying tonight.
After exploring the site on foot we boarded the Harbour Cruise to see Port Arthur itself and view the settlement from a different perspective. It also gave us a chance to view Point Puer and The Isle of the Dead.
We then strolled through the gardens before take a moment to reflect and remember those who died at the hands of Martin Bryant in the Port Arthur Massacre in 1996.
We then looked around past the Civil Officers' Row to the church. The church played an important role in convict reform at Port Arthur. Up to 1100 people attended compulsory services in the church each Sunday. Much if the decorative stonework was done by the boys from the Point Puer Boys' Prison.
Thr Separate Prison was our next stop. Designed to deliver a new method of punishment, thus prison aimed to reform convicts through isolation and contemplation. Convicts were locked in single cells for 23 hours a day, where they ate, slept and worked ; they were given just one hour a day for exercise which was for alone in a high walled yard.
From there we walked around to the Farm Overseer's Cottage to discover which convict story we had drawn in the Lottery of Life. My convict's story was not as tragic as least my convict was over the age of 21!
We then headed up the hill to the guard tower. Located above the penitentiary, this location provided the perfect spot to keep an eye on the convicts.
We then explored the penitentiary. This building began its life as the flour mill and granary before it was converted into the four story penitentiary due to its failure to supply adequate for for the settlement.
After enjoying the coastal scenery we headed to the Port Arthur historical sight. We began exporting the area on the walking tour.
We began the day with a drive south towards Port Arthur, stopping to have a look at the views from Eaglehawk Neck and the Remarkable Cave. As you can see, we even saw a little echinda on our drive!!!

27 November 2017

After reaching the bottom we walked around the headland to Fossil Cliffs and then back into Darlington. We saw a very lazy wombat in his cave burrow as well as a couple of very active wombats on the beach and the grass land.
The descent was much quicker. However, the steep slope coupled with the damp ground under foot made it much more difficult to navigate. We made it back to the bottom in just over an hour, taking some photos of scenery, flora and fauna along the way.
After 2 hours of continuous climbing we reached the summit! What a spectacular view. We spent long enough up the top to eat lunch, experience sunshine, lots of wind and rain.
We had been warned that the walk would be challenging and it certainly was. It was a continuous ascent; sometimes on a wide trail, sometimes a narrow track, sometimes up rocky slopes and then a final scramble over rocks at the top. The views along the way were enough to keep us going.
After arriving at Darlington we Walked through some settlement ruins on the way to the start of our walk to the top of Bishops and Clerk (650 m). The views on the other side of the island were spectacular, even at the base of the mountain.
Today began with a boat ride to Maria Island. Leaving from Triabunna, we could see all the way back up the Freycinet Pinninsula as we headed to today's destination.

26 November 2017

After leaving Swansea we made our way to Triabunna, where we will stay for the next two nights. Along the way we drove past this convict bridge. The spikes on the sides were designed to keep the animals from falling off as they walked across.
...and then at the quirky little town of Swansea. While Swansea had some lovely, old buildings there wasn't really too much else to see and do.
From Freycinet National Park we headed south to Triabunna, stopping first at Devils Corner Winery...
After walking along Hazards Beach we took the Hazards Beach Track around the coastline of Oyster Bay and back to the starting point of the Wineglass Bay Lookout Walk at Little Swanport
The Isthmus Track brought us out at Hazards Beach, where the shell middons provide important archeological information about the local Aboriginal population.
From Wineglass Bay we walked across the Isthmus Track, past the freshwater lagoon.
From the lookout we headed down to Wineglass Bay, where we had lunch and enjoyed watching dolphins play
After a short drive to Freycinet National Park we began out walk up to Wineglass Bay Lookout.

25 November 2017

From the Bay of Fires we headed south to the sleepy town of Bicheno, which is home for tonight. After settling in to #17 Karen, Donna, Helen and I walked up the Whaler's Lookout and then around to Governors Island Lookout before taking the Foreshore Footway back to the campground.
After lunch we wandered along the spectacular white sands and spent some time climbing the rocks
After meeting the group at the Hotel Grand Chancellor this morning we headed to the Bay of Fires via the Fingal Valley. Our local guides did a great job of setting up lunch!

24 November 2017

The Tassie trekking adventure began today. After arriving in Launceston about 2:30 I wandered the city and then went up into Cataract Gorge; a beautiful loop walk in the middle of the city. Amongst the serenity I managed to render first aid to a young man who had sliced his toe open jumping from the rocks into the gorge....