King Narai’s Palace, officially named Phra Narai Ratchaniwet is the former Palace of Ayutthaya King Narai. The ruins of the Palace, locally known as Wang Narai are located in the old center of Lopbury town. King Narai the Great, King of Ayutthaya during the second half of the 17th century made Lopburi the second capital of the Ayuttaya Kingdom. He ordered a new Palace built near the Lopburi river where he stayed most of the year. The Palace was designed by French architects in a mix of Thai and European architectural styles. Construction started in 1665 and was completed 12 years later in 1677. After King Narai’s death in 1688 the Palace was abandoned. Nearly two centuries later King Mongkut ordered restoration of the Palace and the construction of several new buildings. Nowadays, the Palace buildings are in use as exhibition halls for the Lopburi museum.