Peru · 5 Days · 6 Moments · August 2017

Donna's journi to Peru

1 September 2017

Day 5 cont. She just needed pain medication. We were able to give each of the patients vitamins to take home and also OTC medications such as Tylenol, ibuprofen, naproxen, tums, and also antibiotics if they had some type of infection. We had a few small children come as well and we had candy and stickers for them and they were so happy. We let them color in the coloring books and we took pictures with the Snapchat filters and they absolutely loved that. It is so rewarding knowing that the people we help are very thankful for everything we do. After we cleaned up the clinic we headed back to Cusco and changed and went souvenir shopping and to dinner. Tomorrow is another day in the clinic.

30 August 2017

Day 5 Wednesday August 30th This morning we left the hotel at 8 so that we could get to the clinic in time for the patients. We went to the same place as where we did the house visits and the drive was about an hour and a half. When we arrived to the church where we would set up our clinic we already had patients inside waiting for our arrival. They were so happy to see us. Their faces just lit up when we got there and they wanted to help us get everything set up. We set up two small circles with chairs and split into two groups. Ryley, Melissa, and myself were in a group together. Ryley speaks the best Spanish out of all of us so she was asking all the questions while Melissa wrote everything down and I took vital signs and did basic assessments. After interviewing many patients we found out that most of the patients had chronic complaints such as pain from previous accidents. One patient said that when she was 19 she was struck by lightning and ever since then she gets migraines.

29 August 2017

Day 4 cont. On the way home she took us to a small llama and alpaca zoo, we had a great time and got to take many pictures with the animals and feed them. A llama did spit in my face which wasn't very nice but it was very funny. After the zoo we headed back to the hotel in Cusco, got to rest for an hour and then got ready for dinner. Tonight at dinner we decided to try the traditional Peruvian meals which was Cuy also known as the Crackling Guinea Pig and also Alpaca meat. It was very interesting to try these foods but I will probably never eat them again. After dinner it was back to the hotel to sleep and get ready for our day one in the clinic tomorrow.
Day 4 Tuesday August 29th Today we got to sleep in until 9 and then had breakfast and headed to a small town about an hour and a half away from our hotel in Cusco. Today was our first day in this community and we did house visits. We walked through the neighborhood knocking on everyone's doors asking if they would like any free medical attention and if they said yes then we would ask them their basic information such as name, birthday, birthplace, chronic diseases, and then also we told them about our open clinic for the next couple of days. Everyone was very excited and grateful that we wanted to help. This was very rewarding. It was very difficult to understand the living conditions of these people, they have no running water, their only clean drinking supply comes from the snow on top of the mountains. After we left our leader Cynthia took us to a place where we walked up the mountain and had a picnic. It was beautiful and peaceful. After lunch she told us she had a surprise.

28 August 2017

Day 3 Monday August 28th This morning We left Lima at 630am to go to the airport to fly to cusco. We arrived in cusco around 11am and were picked up by our team leader Cynthia. The atmosphere here is very different. The air is very thin which makes it much more difficult for us to breathe. Cynthia told us that we need to rest for a little so that we can acclimate to it here. We went for a walk to downtown cusco which they call the square and had lunch. After we had lunch we walked down the strip where they sell lots of tourist gifts and we also got to take pictures with the Alpacas and a baby goat. After we shopped for a little we headed back to the hotel around 4pm and Cynthia said we can nap until 8pm and then we will go to dinner. Tomorrow is our first day doing clinical work.

27 August 2017

Day 2 Sunday August 27th Today we woke up and had breakfast and got to meet the other two girls who are going to be with us. Melissa and Haylie are both from Michigan. After we finished breakfast we had our orientation. After we all went over the basic rules and itinerary we had Spanish class. We learned the basics and how to ask the patients questions about their health in Spanish. We had lunch in the hotel and then Dr. Kelly came to speak to us and teach us about the different health issues we may come across while we take care of the patients here. Around 5pm we went to the mall so that I could buy some warmer clothes. We were not prepared for the cold! I am very excited for our adventure in Cusco.