United Kingdom · 9 Days · 13 Moments · October 2017

Black Gold's adventure in United Kingdom

14 October 2017

Saturday we walked to Sophie and Joe’s and then on to a Buxton against Gateshead (Newcastle) soccer game. Buxton unfortunately lost 2-1. After the game we went to an Indian Restaurant for supper.

12 October 2017

Thursday we took a stroll through Buxton.

11 October 2017

Martin travelled down to Surrey to pick us up and take us back to his home on Buxton, Derbyshire. We spent the next couple of days catching up with all our family especially their new addition Jackson. Wednesday Debra had to work so we went to Hope Valley to pick her up and had supper at a little pub called The Castle.

10 October 2017

A bit a quiet day today. Caught up on the washing and then took off to Ripley to meet Danielle at the Pinnock Cafe for afternoon tea or in our case homemade hot chocolate and gluten free brownies. Ripley is on the old main road from London to Plymouth and has a lot of old unique buildings.
We didn’t venture too far from here again today. We went on another hike along the canal but this time in the other direction. This direction took us past the old priory. The Newark Priory is a ruined priory on an island surrounded by the River Wey and its moat-like channel the Abbey Stream near the southern boundary of the village of Ripley in Surrey, England. The hike also took us past a part of the house were Jon Donne lived. John Donne (/ˈdʌn/ DUN; 22 January 1572[1] – 31 March 1631)[2] was an English poet and cleric in the Church of England. After his release, Donne retired to the country life in a small house in Pyrford, Surrey, owned by Anne's cousin, Sir Francis Wooley, where they resided until the end of 1604. Later that day we headed out for supper at the Cafe Rouge in The Woking town square before taking in Legally Blonde at the New Victoria Theatre.

9 October 2017

8 October 2017

Another beautiful day in Surrey. We had a little bit of a late start this morning as we were babysitting Alan @ Celia’s grandchildren last night and didn’t get home until 2am. Jerry and I went for a walk along the Wey navigation (canal) today and walked for 5 hours. We took the public footpath through the Twisted Stone golf course and took off along the canal all the way to Allderstone and then back to the Anchor pub. It was such a beautiful day that I think everybody decided to go to The Anchor. It was nice to see all the canal boats pulling in. We finished the afternoon with Moscow Mules in Alan & Celia’s back garden on the patio and then a beautiful roast chicken dinner.

7 October 2017

Spent the day visiting with Alan & Celia’s daughters and families. Had lunch at The Farmhouse at Rokers in Surrey with Danielle’s family. Great place or lunch! Ended the day at Meredith’s overlooking the Surrey Hills.

6 October 2017

Started our adventures in England a couple of days ago. We had an uneventful trip over here. The flight was great and we were met at the airport by Alan & Celia who proceeded to take us to their home in Surrey. Spent the day catching up and familiarizing ourselves with the area. Celia had to work the next day, so we took the opportunity to go for a long walk around the area. We walked to the Pyrford locks where we walked along the canal and ended up walking through the Wisley Golf course. We didn’t realize it was a members only course until we walked into the pro shop and were given the directions to get back on the public paths. Fortunately it was after we had walked through the course and taken lots of photos.
Today Oct. 6 we spent the day at the 500 year old Hampton Court Palace. We spent 7 hours walking though history and could have spent longer. There was so much to see it was overwhelming. Alan & Celia were troopers and followed us everywhere. Alan really didn’t have a choice though as we put him in a wheelchair. It was wonderful to see all the preserved history.