Panama, Peru · 11 Days · 9 Moments · August 2017

Allie's voyage in Peru

5 September 2017

Day 9: Sunday, September 3rd We went to the Cusco community for sharing time for a while. We sang, handed out candies/pencils/markers, and watched Cynthia dance and play with the children. After leaving and arriving in Ollantaytambo, we

2 September 2017

Day 8: Saturday, September 2nd We left early to head to the hospital. Apparently today was Nurse's Day, so no nurses were available to help the doctor see patients. Because of this, we watched the Doctor fill out paperwork, he showed us the ultrasound machine on Cynthia, and then we left. We ate lunch again on the side of the mountain and Melissa hiked up to look at the Incan ruins. It's very difficult to breathe here and feeling winded is something I've come to realize isn't going to go away while we are here so I didn't go. At 6:30 we had a suturing class and it was so fun! I'm not sure when I will have the opportunity to practice stitches again, so I was grateful for the class. For dinner we went to the highest Irish Pub in the world, Paddy's Pub. I enjoyed a White Russian and a delicious wrap! It was the most fun we had at dinner the entire trip and Cynthia loved the American food and the shot of fireball Ryley bought for her. The taxi ride was only 5 soles ($1.50!)

1 September 2017

Day 7: Friday, September 1st Today, we departed to head to the hospital in Maras. Because it was the first of the month, the doctors are to do the previous month's paperwork and send it off to the government. They do not see patients. Because of this, we just toured the hospital and cut/folded gauze pads for over two hours because their supply was low. We ate lunch on another mountain and had a beautiful view of some of the Incan ruins and the Sacred Valley. We got back earlier than all previous days and had a few hours of downtime before heading to The Don Antonio dance show and restaurant at 8pm. The restaurant was neat in that each table had sitting on it the glad of their country. We saw many American tables, Canadian, and even a couple from France. There we watched performers in a variety of outfits, doing dances and interacting with the crowd. We even had the chance to see Cynthia dance too! Ryley and Haylie both got to go up on stage and dance with the performers.

31 August 2017

Day 6: Thursday, August 30th Today we again headed to Urubamba community to assist those with general medical needs, giving them the proper medications to help with daily ailments. There were more children and they were all are just gleaming with joy! Candies, coloring books, blown-up gloves, and Snapchat filters kept them happy and occupied whilst being examined. They quickly became intrigued with our stethoscopes and were so well-behaved during examinations. After returning to the Villa Hermoza Hotel, the other girls finished up souvenir shopping before heading to the Italian restaurant next door. We were in bed by about 10:30 pm.

30 August 2017

Day 5: Wednesday, August 30th We woke up, ate breakfast and headed to Cusco community to do health assessments for those we spoke to yesterday. We assessed and gave out necessary medications and antibiotics to each person we saw. The joy from seeing the joy on each of their faces is something I will hold dear forever. Their faces gleamed with joy as we handed them even Tylenol for the occoasional headache. It surely puts things into perspective. Their way of life is much different. Much more simple. However, they walk around smiling while carrying the heaviest of items to and fro. They drive their cars and hike up the mountains to retrieve water from the snow. We are so privileged in the USA. Went souvenir shopping, are at Bembos, and went to bed.

29 August 2017

Day 4: Tuesday, August 29th Today we woke up, ate breakfast, and left for Cusco community around 9:15 am. We arrived picked up lunch that Cynthia's mom prepared for us on the way and arrived around 10:30 am. There, we used the restroom on the back of the church (while hoping we didn't fall off the tiny cliff) and gathered our things for medical histories. We then walked from door to door explaining that there would be a medical clinic tomorrow and continued with asking questions about past/current medical histories. They each picked times to come to the clinic on Miercoles and Jueves. After finishing, we left and had a picnic on the side of the mountain. The food was wonderful! Cynthia surprised us with a visit to the llama/alpaca zoo and we got to feed them and look at homemade clothes the town's people make. We then headed back, had two hours to relax, then got pizza for dinner!

28 August 2017

Day 3: Monday, August 28th We woke up early to make our flight to Cusco from Lima. We ate breakfast at the airport and waited around a while. Our flight was delayed about an hour, but we eventually made it to Cusco. As soon as we landed, a few of us immediately got pounding headaches. We found that it was noticeably more difficult to breathe here in Cusco than Lima; the elevation in Cusco is more than 11,000 feet. After putting our things down in the hotel, we went to eat lunch at a small, quaint, hole in the wall restaurant that was quite tasty. Cynthia showed us around downtown, where we took many pictures and got to see some beautiful areas of the city. We also found some llamas!!!! That night we went to a nice restaurant where Donna and I tried alpaca, which was delicious! Haylie and Melissa decided to be brave and try out the famous guinea pig. It would've been less petrifying if it hadn't come out whole, with its face staring at me. Nonetheless, they said it was good!

27 August 2017

Day 2: Sunday, August 27th We had a long day of orientation, from about 9am until 7:45 pm. We practiced Spanish, went over trip details, and were presented with a slideshow from Dr. Kelly. We headed over to the mall to pick up a few last minute things and got some Starbucks! We went to bed relatively early again.

26 August 2017

Day 1: Saturday, August 26th After two decently long flights and 11 hours after having woken up, we arrived in Lima. We got through the airport in less than 15 minutes and Sandra was waiting there for us. We rode to the cute hotel where we settled in and went over a few important things about the trip. We headed out to exchange some money and then explore the mall with Sandra. We are dinner at a chicken restaurant in the mall and it was fabulous. Probably the best chicken I have ever eaten! We went to bed early, about 9:15. We had had a long day!