United Kingdom ·
5 Days ·
10 Moments ·
12 August 2016
Cliff Railway, Lynmouth
Duster Yarn Market
17 Century Yarn Market
A Covered Market for sale of local broadcloth and homespuns. Built in 1609 by George Luttrel, of Dunster Castle and repaired in 1647, according to the date on the Weather Vane.
11 August 2016
Hartland Abbey was built in 1157 and consecrated by Bishop Bartholomew of Exeter in 1160AD as a monastery of the regular canons of the Order of St Augustine of Hippo. The Abbey remained as a monastery until 1539 when it became the last monastery in the country to be Dissolved by Henry VIII. The King made a gift of the Abbey to the Sergeant of his Wine Cellar at Hampton Court, Mr. William Abbott, whose descendants live here today.
In 1583 the first of three heiresses, Prudence Abbott, married Andrew Luttrell of Dunster Castle in Somerset and the Abbey remained in that family for some 100 years. In 1704, the second heiress, Mary Luttrell married Paul Orchard. The Orchards were to remain at the Abbey through the 18th century until the third heiress, Anne Orchard, married George Buck and moved into the Abbey on the death of her brother in 1812.
The great grandfather of the present owner, Sir Hugh Stucley Bt., who was also called George Buck changed his name to Stucley (bein
10 August 2016
This carriage was built by Silk & Sons, London in the late nineteenth century
Wagonettes are versatile carriages with many uses. The interior seats could be removed to allow space for luggage, making it useful for trips to the station and estate work.
In 1893 the 6th Duke of Portland designed a method of fitting a single leather head to an open wagonette. This could be folded down when not needed during fine weather.
However, the head faces the opposite way to other carriages providing less shelter for passengers. The design did not prove popular and it is possible that this vehicle is the only surviving example.
This carriage was built in 1896 by J. A. Lawton of Liverpool
This coach is an elaborate and impressive carriage designed purely for a gentleman’s driving pleasure. Based on the design of a stage coach, it was owner driven with room for two grooms on the seat mounted over the hind boot.
This carriage was ideally suited to entertaining guests at race meetings and other sporting events as the outside seats formed a private grandstand. The roof seats have lazy backs which are designed to fold and flatten when the seats are not in use.
This carriage was built in 1893 by W.Cole and Sons of Kensington, London.
This was built as a wedding present for Colonel F.M. Hext of Pinhoe, near Exeter. It was used during his honeymoon on the Isle of Wight and has the family crest on the door.
Double Broughams differ from Single Broughams in that they have fixed seating for four passengers and are usually extended at the front with small side windows.
This carriage was built before 1814.
One of the oldest carriages in the collection, this chariot has original Imperials; wooden suitcases covered in leather carried on the roof. There is also a sword case at the back of the body. Gibbs Crawfurd Antrobus used this travelling chariot when he attended the Congress of Vienna in 1814-15. At the time he was a junior secretary under Lord Castlereagh.
It was either postilion or coachman driven. The rumble seat at the rear was used by accompanying servants.
Arlington Court is a neoclassical style country house built 1820-23, situated in the parish of Arlington, next to the parish church of St James, 5 1/4 miles NE of Barnstaple, north Devon, England. It is a Grade II* listed building. The park and gardens are Grade II* listed in the National Register of Historic Parks and Gardens.
The house was commissioned by Colonel John Palmer Chichester (1769-1823) to the design of the North Devonarchitect Thomas Lee, replacing the earlier Georgian house of about 1790, built on a different site and demolished, designed by John Meadows. Arlington Court was considerably expanded in 1865 by John Palmer Chichester's grandson, Sir Alexander Palmer Bruce Chichester, 2nd Baronet (1842-1881), son of Sir John Palmer Bruce Chichester, 1st Baronet (d.1851). In 1873 according to the Return of Owners of Land, 1873 the Arlington estate comprised about 5,300 acres.
9 August 2016
A very nice day by all. A very interesting house or manor. The guide who took use around the manor knew her history about the house. She was very interesting. Everyone was very nice and friendly.